Pastor Prayer

Bob Hostetler

Remind me, Lord, when I'm tempted to panic by the complaints (legitimate and otherwise) of your people, that you've brought us all through choppy waters before.

Remind me that I've heard:
"You should really preach from the NIV."
"You don't use the King James Version?"
"Please don't use so many different translations."
"We need to sing more hymns."
"I need more Spirit-filled worship."
"I need deeper teaching."
"The music's boring."
"The music's too repetitive."
"The music's too loud."
"I couldn't hear a thing."
"The powerpoint was messed up."
"You shouldn't hug people."
"The announcements are too long."
"The announcements are too repetitive."
"You didn't make any announcements."
"The worship leader closes his eyes."
"The worship leader was off-key."
"The worship leader's mic was too loud."
"The instruments drowned out the voices."
"Why won't you meet with my son?"
"I was upset that you didn't call."
"I was upset that you showed up at my house without calling first."
"You shouldn't show videos in church."
"I couldn't get connected at your church."
"I can't attend anymore because people notice when I've been gone and ask where I've been."
"You repeat the same chorus too many times."
"You should try preaching without notes."
"I don't think the way you do communion is biblical."
"You're trying to be too seeker-friendly."
"That wasn't very seeker-friendly."
"You're just trying to be another Cincinnati Vineyard."
"You really need to be more like Mark Driscoll and Mars Hill."
"What was wrong with the coffee this week?"
"Your position on [pick a doctrine or issue] isn't strong enough."
"Your position on [pick a doctrine or issue] is too strong."

Remind me, Lord, that you are often pleased with something that doesn't particularly please your precious sheep. Help me to look for your approval, and be wise when I encounter the approval OR disapproval of the flock, in Jesus' name, amen.

No comments: