A Totally Truthful Hymn of Prayer

I do not ask Thee, Lord,
That all my life may be
An easy, smooth and pleasant path;
'twould not be good for me.
(Easy, smooth and pleasant would be nice
ONCE in a while, though)
But O I ask today
That grace and strength be given
To keep me fighting all the way
That leads to God and Heaven!
(And an occasional break from the fighting
would be welcome from time to time, too)
I do not ask Thee, Lord,
That tears may never flow,
Or that the world may always smile
Upon me as I go.
(But "sometimes smile" would be okay,
if it's all the same to you)
From Thee fell drops of blood;
A thorn-crown pressed Thy brow;
Thy suffering brought Thee victory then,
And thou canst help me now.
(I'm willing to suffer for you,
it's suffering fools I don't like to do)
And what if strength should fail,
And heart more deeply bleed?
Or what if dark and lonely days
Draw forth the cry of need?
(I really hope I never find out,
to tell you the truth)
That cry will bring Thee down
My needy soul to fill,
And Thou wilt teach my yearning heart
To know and do Thy will
(But "easy, smooth and pleasant"
still suits me better, if you please).

No comments: