Strength

If on my own strength I had to depend,
then I would be helpless and useless right now. BUT....

I'll go in your strength, O Lord,
in paths you have marked for my feet.
I'll follow the light of your Word
and not shrink from the dangers I meet.
Your presence my steps shall attend,
your fulness my wants shall supply,
on you till my journey shall end,
my unwavering faith shall rely.

I'll go in your strength, O Lord,
to work you appoint me to do;
in joy which your smile will afford
my soul shall her vigor renew.
Your wisdom will guard me from harm,
your power my sufficiency prove;
I'll trust your omnipotent arm
and prove your unchangeable love.

I'll go in your strength, O Lord,
to conflicts which faith will require,
your grace as my shield and reward,
my courage and zeal shall inspire.
Since you give the word of command
to meet and encounter the foe,
with your sword of truth in my hand,
to suffer and triumph I'll go.
Amen.

(except for the first two lines, revised from a hymn by Edward Turney)

No comments: