Far From Done

Father God, thank you for giving me some of the skills and traits a writer needs, though I know you’re far from done with me.

Please make me more observant, both in the moment of an experience and as I reflect back on such moments. Cause me to see more than is my wont, to mark details, patterns, and anomalies. Expand and intensify my vision and augment it with a sharp and enduring recall.

Please make me more insightful. Help me to see not merely with, but through, the eye.
Inspire me not only to see but to interpret, unravel, understand. Prompt me to recognize the important, the good, the bad, and the ugly in all I observe. Help me, as so many fine writers do, to make electrifying connections between seemingly unrelated things for myself and for my readers.

Please make me more expressive in thought and in word. Grant me virtuosity in conveying thoughts and ideas. Make me the Miles Davis of the written word. The Vincent Van Gogh. The Nadia Comăneci.

Please make me more articulate. Fluent. Clear. Precise. Teach me to use the right word, just so. Help me to not only say something worth saying, but to say it with such clarity that there can be no misunderstanding.

All this I ask, in Jesus' name, amen.

No comments: