Simplest Blessings

Lord, thank you for waking me up this morning.
Lord, thank you that I can still turn over in bed.
Lord, thank you that I can still get out of bed.
Lord, thank you that I can walk to the bathroom.
Lord, thank you that I can still go to the bathroom by myself.
Lord, thank you that I can still brush my teeth.
Lord, thank you that I can still take a shower.
Lord, thank you that I can still use a towel to dry myself off.
Lord, thank you that I can still eat breakfast.
Lord, thank you that I can still dress myself.
Lord, thank you that I can still drive my car.
Lord, thank you that I can still walk.
Lord, thank you that I can still talk.

(a prayer of Ed Dobson, who described his life with ALS in the moving book, Seeing Through the Fog. Ed lived with ALS, or "Lou Gehrig's Disease," for fifteen years before dying on December 26, 2015)

No comments: