Stuff I've Never Thanked You For

copyright Bob Hostetler

Adonai, you have given me so much
beyond the basics
to thank you for
that there are whole categories,
entire catalogs
of stuff I've never thanked you for:

Thank you for postage stamps,
pre-gummed envelopes,
Christmas cards,
and Uniball writing pens.

Thank you for XM Radio,
and CD technology,
and the vast array of technologies that enrich
(and sometimes gum up)
my life.

Thank you for water,
for sugar,
for soft facial tissues,
for flip calendars,
for microwave ovens,
for walking sticks,
comfortable chairs,
clean fingernails,
and elevators in tall buildings.

Thank you for cordless telephones,
scented candles,
Advil,
puppies,
sunglasses,
and photographs.

Thank you for reminding me to be thankful.
Thank you that I am so abundantly blessed
as to be thankful for the critical...AND the trivial,
in Jesus' name, amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and thank you for big fat snow flakes, babies' feet, well-fitting underwear, good poetry and noodles.