My Psalm 71

O Lord, I run into your arms;
don’t let me be discouraged.
Save me and rescue me in this low place,
for you do what is right.
Put your ear close to my heart
and hear the murmurs I can’t put into words.
Be my mountain fortress,
my crag of safety.
Command my deliverance,
for you are my Mighty Rescuer.

O God, save me from this recurring depression;
I am so tired of being in the line of fire,
of shouldering the problems of others
(as if mine aren’t enough!).
I’m sick of being second-guessed,
and of others who think they have the answers,
without even seeking to understand the question.
O Lord, you alone are my hope.
You’ve had my heart from childhood.
You’ve guided me from birth;
year after year you have been my shelter.
No wonder I am always praising you!

Make my life an example to many,

an encouragement to others to find strength and protection in you.

Even in my depression, I can’t stop praising you;

I declare your glory with my whole heart, all day long.
Now that I am old, don’t set me aside.

My stamina may be gone, but let my experience count for something.
Answer those who whisper against me.

Defend me against those who think I’m stupid.
Save me from those who nurse resentment against me.

O God, don’t be coy.
My God, please hurry to help me.

Bring disgrace and destruction on my Enemy.

Humiliate and shame him and his divisive plans.
I will keep on hoping for your help;

I will praise you no matter what others do.
I will faithfully tell everyone about your righteousness;
I will preach the Word, season after season.
I will praise your mighty deeds, O Sovereign Lord.

I will do all I can to lead others to you.

O God, you’ve had my heart from childhood.
I will trust you and follow you for the rest of my days.
Let me proclaim your power to a new generation,
your mighty miracles to all who come after me.

Your righteousness, O God, reaches to the highest heavens.
You have done wonders.
Who can compare with you?

Who can even come close to you?

I know I bring much hardship on myself,
and you let me suffer through it,
but you will restore me to life again
and lift me up from the depths of the earth.

You will restore me to even greater honor and comfort me once again.
Then I will praise you with songs in the sanctuary,
I will lift up your praise in the midst of your people,
I will stand up against every foe,
because you are faithful to your promises, O my God,
you have ransomed me,
and you lift me higher than I have any right to be,
higher than I have any reason to expect.

No comments: