Divine Congruences

Bob Hostetler

Lord God, I don't often know why you do this, but thank you for divine congruences like those I experienced in prayer this morning when I chose John Michael Talbot's Psalm 62 ("Only in God is my soul at rest; in him is my salvation. He only is my rock and my salvation; my stronghold, my Savior, I shall not be afraid at all") to prepare my heart for prayer, and then The Request for Presence today in the Divine Hours was Psalm 31:3 ("Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe, for you are my crag and my stronghold; for the sake of your Name, lead me and guide me"). And then the Morning Psalm was Psalm 116:9-17....and, though I'm a few days ahead in my scheduled readings prescribed in The Prayer Journal I'm using this year, the psalm was Psalm 116.

So, Lord, what are you trying to say? Are these just taps on the shoulder, whispers in the ear, saying, "I'm here; I'm with you?" Or are you telling me to run to you, my Rock, my Crag, my Stronghold, for safety and shelter? Or reminding me to lift the cup of salvation and pay my vows to you (are there vows I'm not paying?)? Or something else? Is there some intersection between those passages you want to underline? Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening. I'm willing and waiting to hear whatever you're telling me.

You know, Lord, but I remind you: I'm slow to hear, and the walls of my house are pretty thick. So speak clearly. And, as I listen, I'll thank you for this latest divine congruence, because at the very least, I know you're right by my side, right here, right here. Thank you.

No comments: