My Psalm 4

Bob Hostetler

Please answer me when I call out to you,
my righteous God, God my righteousness.
Send me relief from the distress I feel;
be merciful to me and hear my prayer.
How long will those around me find fault with me,
and use my willingness to give them grace and hear them out
to tell me stories of those who do not deserve grace?
How long will they trust in idols,
in their own wisdom (or in mine!),
in the belief that they can control outcomes
instead of entrusting the outcome to you?

Selah (because I need a break, Lord, even if you don’t)

I know, Lord, that you have set apart the godly for yourself;
I believe (most of the time) that you will hear when I call to you.

I am angry, Lord, I confess that. Help me in my anger not to sin;
when I am on my bed,
help me to humbly search my heart and be silent,
rather than striving and worrying.

Selah (because I need a breath, Lord, even if you don’t)

Abba, I long to offer right sacrifices,
to be right in all my actions and attitudes,
and trust in you.

But many around me are saying, “Oh my, oh my,”
and “You should [this]” and “You should [that].”
I'm sick of it.
Let the light of your face shine upon us all, O Lord;
lift up your countenance upon us all, and give us peace,
and unity, and grace for each other.
But you have filled my heart with greater joy
than when dancing and laughing abound!
I know I will again lie down and sleep in peace,
for you alone, O Lord,
make me dwell in safety. Amen.

No comments: