My Psalm 2

Bob Hostetler

Father, today as of old, the nations conspire
and the peoples plot in vain;
the kings of the earth take their stand
and the rulers gather together
as if they had no need of you, Lord,
or your Anointed One.

Great and small strive to break your "chains,"
the fetters of your law and your righteous demands.

But you, Lord, enthroned in heaven, laugh;
you scoff at them and rebuke them in your anger,
and terrify them in your wrath, saying,
"I have installed my kingdom on Zion, my holy hill."

I will proclaim your decree, Lord.
You said to me, "You are my son,
today I have become your Father."
Thank you for my adoption through your Son, Jesus.

You said, "Ask of me, and I will make the nations your inheritance,
the ends of the earth your possession."
I pray, Lord, for a harvest of souls
among all who gather this weekend in Oxford.
Exert your rule, Lord;
break down strongholds like clay jars.

Therefore, you kings, be wise;
let even the highest and greatest on earth
bow before you, Lord.
Let them pay you honor with awe,
and rejoice with trembling.

Let many, Lord--according to your good will--
kiss the Son, and avert your righteous wrath.

Blessed are all who take refuge in you, Amen.

No comments: