End-of-the-Year Prayer

O Love Beyond Compare,
you are good when you give,
when you take away,
when the sun shines,
when night gathers over me.

You have loved me before the foundation of the world,
and in love redeemed my soul;
you love me still,
in spite of my hard heart, ingratitude, and distrust.

Your goodness has been with me another year,
leading me through a twisting wilderness,
in retreat helping me to advance,
when beaten back making sure headway.

Your goodness will be with me in the year ahead,
as I hoist sail and draw up anchor,
as the shape of my ministry changes,
and I become again a writer who preaches,
and no longer a pastor who (infrequently) writes.

I bless you that you have veiled my eyes to the waters ahead.
If you have appointed storms of tribulation,
you will be with me in them;
If I have to pass through tempests of persecution and temptation,
I shall not drown;
If I am to die,
I shall see your face the sooner;
If a painful end is to be my lot,
grant me grace that my faith fail not;
If I am to be cast aside from the service I love,
I can make no stipulation;
Only glorify yourself in me whether in comfort or trial,
as a chosen vessel meet always for your use.

I thank you for the blessing of this year now past,
and bless you for the promise of this year to come,
in Jesus' name,
amen.

(Based on a prayer from The Valley of Vision, a collection of Puritan prayers, edited by Arthur Bennett)

No comments: