Surprise Me

Lord,
I have no idea
of what you have in mind for me today
or any of the ways you'll find to let me know...

I have no idea
of when or how you'll speak to me today,
let alone what you might want to say to me...

I have no idea
of where you might lead me today
or of what and whom I'll meet along the way...

I don't yet know
the moments when you'll reach out
to strengthen and to lift me up when I'm bowed down...

You've got lots of surprises planned for me today, Lord,
and I don't know yet what they might be, so:
let my mind and heart be open
to your plans for me today;
let there be a quiet time and place within
that I might hear the word you speak;
let your Spirit be the compass of my soul
as I follow where your word and will may lead me;
open up my day to all the gifts, the strength and all the help
you never fail to offer...

I have no idea what this day holds, Lord:
surprise me with your presence, your grace, your peace!

(borrowed from my friend Fr. Austin Fleming at A Concord Pastor Comments)

No comments: