Fill My Life with Praise

A hymn of Horatius Bonar, updated slightly.

Fill up my life, O Lord my God,
In every part with praise,
That my whole being may proclaim
Your being and your ways.
Not for the lip of praise alone,
Nor even the praising heart
I ask, but for a life made up
Of praise in every part!

Praise in the common words I speak,
Life’s common looks and tones,
In fellowship wherever I am
With my belovèd ones;
Not in the "church crowd" alone
Where holy voices chime,
But in the silent paths of earth,
The quiet rooms of time.

Fill every part of me with praise;
Let all my being speak
Of you and of your love, O Lord,
Poor though I be, and weak.
So will you, Lord, from me, even me,
Receive the glory due;
And so shall I begin on earth
The song forever new.

So shall each fear, each fret, each care
Be turned into a song,
And every winding of the way
The echo shall prolong;
So do each part of day or night
With sacredness imbue,
That all my life, in every step
Be fellowship with you.

No comments: