My Psalm 55

Hear my prayer, O God,
please listen.
Please answer me.
My thoughts run away with me again
and I am perturbed at the work of the enemy,
at the roadblocks thrown in my way,
for the silliness
and stupidity that swirls around me.

You know how often I get like this, Lord,
how easily I let circumstances get the better of me,
how much I let fear and worry beset me
and even overwhelm me.

It sure would be nice to have wings like a dove!
I could fly away and find a sheltered crag.
I could soar to a place of solitude
and hide there, alone with you.

I could go anytime to my place of shelter,
and retreat from the tempest and storm.
But even as I say that, Lord,
you remind me: I can do that anyway,
you are my shelter, whether I have wings or not.
You are my hiding place, not some physical retreat.

Confuse the wicked, O Lord, and frustrate their plans
who try to oppose you and your work in our midst.

Oppose them!
Tear down their malicious efforts.

Protect me--protect all your people--
from all destructive forces that are at work in the city;
save us from all witchcraft, threats, and lies.

Save us from enemies
who masquerade as friends;
protect us from those who smile and nod
while they curse under their breath
and try to hurt us when no one sees.
Save us from lies,
and gossip,
and intrigue.

I call to you, God,
and you save me.

At all times of the day,
I cry out to you,
and you hear my voice.

You ransom me, unharmed,
from every battle waged against me,
no matter how many oppose me.

God, who is enthroned forever,
hears and saves me
from all those who have turned from you,
from all who think they are doing right
by hurting others,
whose words are more soothing than oil,
but sharper than swords when my back is turned.

I cast my cares on you, LORD;
I know you will sustain you;
you have never let me down yet,
though I deserve none of your favor.

I leave it to you to decide who is wicked
and who needs a comeuppance;
I just know, as for me, I trust in you. Amen.

No comments: