Peacemaker Prayer


by Ken Sande, President of Peacemaker Ministries

Oh Lord God,
Today I am called to be a peacemaker,
but I am unfit for the task.

By nature I am a peace-faker
and a peace-breaker,
so I myself need help.

Others ask me to understand and guide them,
but my ears are dull, my eyes are dim,
and I lack the wisdom they need.

But you, Lord, have all they need,
so I come to you for supply.

Make me fit for your purposes,
so I might serve them
and honor you.

Cleanse me from my own sin
so I will not add to their problems;
take the logs from my eyes,
so I can remove the specks from theirs.

Fill me with your Spirit
so they may benefit from your fruit:
love, joy, peace,
patience, kindness, goodness,
faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

Give me wisdom from above
so I might be pure and peace-loving,
considerate and submissive,
full of mercy and good fruit,
impartial and sincere.

Open your Word to my eyes
and to my heart,
so I will have a steady lamp
to light our path.

Strip me of my own agenda and desires,
so I might look only to others' good
and be absolutely worthy of their trust.

Help me to model everything I teach,
so others can see the way.
Give me humility to admit my weaknesses
and confess my wrongs,
so others might do the same.

Draw me again and again into prayer,
where you can strengthen and correct me.

Make me submissive -- help me to show
that I myself am under authority.

Help me to treat others
as I want to be treated,
so they may see
the essence of your Law.

Make me creative, versatile, and adaptable
so I can adjust to the surprises ahead.

Help me to accept others
as you have accepted me,
and thus bring praise to your name.

Give me faith and perseverance
so I will not doubt your provision
or abandon your principles,
even when others fight against them.

Grant me the gift of encouragement,
to give others hope
and help them believe
that our labor is not in vain.

Help me to model your forgiveness
so relationships are healed
and your Gospel is revealed.

Grant me discernment so that I may read
the deep waters of others' hearts,
sort fiction from fact,
and know when it's time to act.

Give me boldness and courage,
tempered with kindness,
to confront others in love
so they might see their errors
and find their way back to you.

Help me to prepare thoroughly
and not presume upon your grace.

Make me just and fair,
so that even if people disagree
with my counsel they will believe
that I treated them well.

In short, Father,
please give me the Spirit of Christ
so that I might walk in his steps
and guide your people
into the path of your peace.

(Source: peacemaker.net website)

No comments: