Double Portion Prayer

Gracious God, who inspired faulty and feeble men in times past to write for the purpose of changing lives, please let some of that spirit--a double portion, even, as I am more faulty and feeble than they--rest on me as a writer.

Grant me the productivity of Moses, who though he lived in an age before paper or press is credited with "the books of Moses," revered as Torah by one generation after another.

Grant me David's lyricism and imagery evident in line after line of psalm after psalm, from "The Lord is my shepherd" to "He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty."

Grant me Isaiah's facility with word and phrase, he who wrote "Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace," and "They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not grow weary, they shall walk and not faint."

Grant me Solomon's wisdom, Ezekiel's vision, Jeremiah's compulsion, and Daniel's spine.

Grant me Hosea's courage in telling my story, and in obeying and reflecting you in its every twist and turn.

Grant me the Gospel writers' recall. Luke's accuracy. Paul's intensity. James's practicality.

And grant, please, whenever my end approaches, whatever my final book or sentence may be, a finish like that of your servant John.

All this I am so bold to ask only through the merit of my Savior, Lord, and King, in whose name I ask it, amen.

6 comments:

Jessica R. Patch said...

This prayer truly touched me. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Beth K. Vogt said...

I followed my friend Jessica over here -- and am thankful I did.
Your prayer refreshed my writer's heart.

Ruth Douthitt said...

Wow! I read this and repeated "Yes, Lord" over and over.

THANK YOU for posting this prayer. It speaks to my heart.

Hoss said...

Thank you for the comment!

Sol said...

Another great post with a a truly meaningful prayer.

God Bless,
Sol
www.holylandprayers.com

Eric Serlin said...

Praise the Lord!! A truly Inspirational, eye opening prayer!!