Another Psalm 8

O Lord my God,
my God,
my Great God,
your awesome majesty
and the glory of your name
is so great
it overwhelms and overflows
the earth and sky and limitless space.

Yet little children can know you.
Babes can praise you.
Simple faith like theirs
triumphs over all the arguments
and posturings of your enemies.

When I see the night sky
I see your work.
Your hands made the moon and stars,
your fingers hung them in place,
a fact amazing enough on its own,
but even more so compared to the truth
that you condescend to me,
to my little world,
to my puny mind
and poor heart.

And yet you honor me
with such precision in creating me
and such blessing in attending to me.
You speak to me and call me and give me work to do;
you smile on me as on the sheep and oxen,
the birds and fish,
the teeming multitudes of the ocean deep.

O Lord, my God and King,
your awesome majesty
and the glory of your name
overwhelms and overflows
the earth and sky and limitless space.

No comments: