A Prayer of Girolamo Savonarola

I beg you, Lord, because of your own goodness:
Give light to my eyes; wound my heart with your love.
Steady my stride along your paths
So that my steps do not stray.
Free the captive, gather the scattered,
Sew up the torn, lift up the fallen.
Give me a heart that ponders you;
Give me a mind that dwells on you.
Give me an intellect that understands you.
Give me a reasoning that easily clings to you.
Give me a soul that loves you.
Give me a will that never parts from you.
Be near to my heart, near to my words.
Be near to my work, near to help.
Be near to me, for I am faint with love.
Be near to me, because without you I die.
Be near to me, because I am uplifted by the thought of you.
Your fragrance refreshes me;
Your memory heals me;
Your pleasant light renews my life;
Your gentle voice gives me delight.
Then will I be satisfied when your glory appears.

(from the October 8 reading in the newly released devotional, Godspeed: Voices of the Reformation, by David Teems)

No comments: