Breathe

Jesus, breathe Thy Spirit on me, 
Teach me how to breathe Thee in, 
Help me pour into Thy bosom 
All my life of self and sin. 

I am breathing out my own life, 
That I may be filled with Thine; 
Letting go my strength and weakness, 
Breathing in Thy life divine. 

Breathing out my sinful nature, 
Thou hast borne it all for me; 
Breathing in Thy cleansing fullness, 
Finding all my life in Thee. 

I am breathing out my sorrow, 
On Thy kind and gentle breast; 
Breathing in Thy joy and comfort, 
Breathing in Thy peace and rest. 

I am breathing out my longings, 
In Thy list’ning loving ear, 
I am breathing in Thy answers, 
Stilling every doubt and fear. 

I am breathing every moment, 
Drawing all my life from Thee; 
Breath by breath I live upon Thee, 
Blessed Spirit, breathe in me. 

(a prayer of A. B. Simpson, founder of the Christian and Missionary Alliance; photo by @averieclaire via Unsplash.com)

No comments: