The Canaan of Your Perfect Love

God of all power and truth and grace,
Which shall from age to age endure,
Whose word, when Heaven and earth shall pass,
Remains and stands forever sure,

That I your mercy may proclaim,
That all humanity truth may see,
Hallow your great and glorious name,
And perfect holiness in me.

Purge from me every sinful blot;
My idols all be cast aside;
Cleanse me from every sinful thought,
From all the filth of self and pride.

Give me a new, a perfect heart,
From doubt and fear and sorrow free;
The mind that is in Christ impart
And let my thoughts unblemished be.

O that I now, from sin released,
Your word may to the utmost prove,
Enter into your promised rest,
The Canaan of your perfect love. Amen.

(a hymn by Charles Wesley, slightly revised; photo by Dyana Wing So via unsplash.com)

No comments: