My Psalm 110

Yahweh, you said to my Lord,
"Sit at my right hand
until I make your enemies
a footstool for your feet."

You extended your mighty scepter from Zion;
you ruled in the midst of your enemies.

Your troops rode out
on the day of battle,
when from the womb of the dawn
your Son appeared
in risen splendor,
with all the vigor of youth.

Yahweh, you promised:
"You are a priest forever,
in the order of Melchizedek,"
and therefore Jesus has become
the guarantee of a better covenant! (Heb. 7:22)

Lord, you are at my right hand;
you will subdue kings on the day of your wrath.

You will judge the nations,
you will yet show the whole world
that you are God and King over all.

On that day, we will all be refreshed,
our weary heads lifted up,
like one who drinks from a brook beside the way.

(artwork: William Baziotes (1898-1972)
Scepter, 1960-61
66 x 78 1/8 inches (167.7 x 198.4 cm.)
Oil on canvas)

No comments: