Just a Clay Jar

God,
help me to resign from the ranks of the “experts.”
Help me not to act like someone who has arrived.

Remind me constantly and repeatedly
of what I was when I was called:
not wise by human standards;
not influential;
not of noble birth.
But you chose this foolish thing,
as you choose so many foolish things of the world
to shame the wise;
you chose this weak thing to shame the strong.
You chose this fragile, earthen pot
to make it clear that all I have
and all I am
and all I do
is from you,
that the glory and honor may be yours.

Help me to be way too curious
and way too humble
and way too vulnerable to act like an expert on anything....
except maybe your incredible sense of humor in extending grace to me!

(based partly on 1 Corinthians 1:26-27 and 2 Corinthians 4:7; photo by hotblack, courtesy of morgueFile)

No comments: