Saturday Psalm #44

Oh, I have heard with my ears, O God;
my parents told me from my earliest years
what you did in their days,
in long ago days.
I have heard: with your hand you kept my family alive
through dust storms and snow storms;
you provided jobs in times of want
and gave us work to do and food to eat.
It was not by their power or ingenuity that they made it through,
nor did they raise three boys alone;
it was your right hand, your arm,
and the light of your face, for you loved us all.

You are my King and my God,
who decrees victories for me as you once did for Jacob.
Through you and you alone can I hope to push back my Enemy;
through your name I will trample my Foe.
I do not trust in my brain,
my creativity does not bring me victory;
I do not trust in my church,
pastors,
friends,
beliefs,
dreams,
efforts;
they do not bring victory;
but you give victory over my enemies,
you put my adversaries to shame.
In You I will make my boast all day long,
and I will praise your name forever.
You have brought me through many a time of testing,
stretches where you allowed confusion
and bickering
and misunderstanding
and division to beset me.
You could have made me a byword to many,
a laughingstock.
Even still, I am just a foolish decision
or sinful step from shame.
But I have not forgotten you
or been false to your calling.
I will not be turned back;
I recommit to you and your path.
to my calling and your purpose for me and mine.
Even if I face death all day long;
if I am led like a sheep to be slaughtered,
I will cry out to you
until you spring into action once again.

Rise up and help me;
redeem me because of your unfailing love,
in Jesus’ name, amen.

No comments: