To be Remembered, and Forgiven


Beyond the gates of everlasting day, 
Up to the starry threshold of the heavens 
I lift my eyes. I lift my eyes and pray: 

I pray to be remembered, and forgiven. 
I look for you in longing and I wait 
Upon you as your servant. You have given 

Day-labour for your servant to complete, 
But nothing can be done without your grace 
Without your kindling spirit, so I wait 

Upon your mercy, till you turn your face
And bless my work. Then, let the world despise, 
And the sophisticated sneer, in my place 

However small, I have a role I prize 
As one scribe of the kingdom. I rejoice
And, with this psalmist, lift my grateful eyes. 

(a poem based on Psalm 123, from the book David's Crown: Sounding the Psalms by Malcolm Guite; photo by Alfred Aloushy (@musickid98) via unsplash.com)

No comments: