You Know I'm Growing Older

Lord, you know I'm growing older. Keep me from becoming overly talkative and possessed with the idea that I must express myself on every subject. 

Release me from the craving to straighten out everyone's affairs. 

Keep me from the recital of endless detail. Give me wings to get to the point. 

Seal my lips when I am inclined to tell of my aches and pains. They are increasing with the years and my love of speaking about them grows sweeter as the years go by.

Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally I may be wrong. Make me thoughtful but not nosey, helpful but not bossy. With my vast store of wisdom and experience it does seem a pity not to use it at all. But you know, Lord, that I want a few friends at the end. 

Amen. 

(slightly revised version of "A Prayer for Those Growing Old," author unknown; photo by Nina Hill via unsplash.com)


No comments: