Keep Me Bent

Lord save me 
from myself 
my settled self 
unsettle me 
bring to end of rope 
but only 
if you 
are at the end. 
My procrastinating self 
that can so easy find 
side roads 
that are more interesting 
even ones where 
errands can be run. 
Send me back to 
my comfort loving self 
uncomfort me 
pull the covers from me 
on cold night 
that I may wake. Starve my body
that my soul may feast.
My proud self.
Give me grace to bend myself 
And keep me bent 
lest you should one day 
bend me to the breaking point.
My righteous self 
show me sin 
that lurks beneath 
my conscious thought 
motivating 
that pushes me 
to settling 
comfort pride 
and self 
rationalizing self 
that finds excuse 
for what I do 
and don't.
Save me from myself
Save me so that 
self may die 
and save me 
from pride 
that self is dead.

(a prayer of Joseph Bayly, from Psalms of My Life; photo by retepwal via unsplash.com)

No comments: