The Burger King Way

Awesome God, what a perversion of your kindness and grace it is to exalt into an idol the freedom of choice that you have granted us as human beings. How utterly ungrateful we are to take the choice you give us as men and women and use it to break your heart. How sorry I am for any tendency of my heart to use this freedom as an opportunity for the flesh (Galatians 5:13), as a way to conceal evil (1 Peter 2:16) and bless myself secretly, saying to myself, “I will be all right, even though I will stubbornly keep doing whatever I feel like doing” (Deuteronomy 29:19, Complete Jewish Bible). Please save me from such tendencies, and help me instead to cast all idols far from my heart and life. Teach me to live in the freedom you give me, standing firm, pleasing you, and serving those around me through love, in Jesus’ name, amen.

(the prayer that closes chapter eleven, "The Burger King Way," in my book, American Idols)

No comments: