The Superman Myth

God, you created the heavens and the earth. You created me. You are God. You are my God. I bow before you. I worship you. I exalt you and glorify you above all.

Forgive me for ever bowing to the idol of humanism. Forgive me for ever thinking that I can accomplish anything apart from you. You are the vine, and I am the branch; apart from you I can do nothing.

Thank you for all your good gifts to me. Save me from the idolatry of forgetting you and thinking that my own power and my own ability have gotten those things for me. You give me the power to gain wealth and to accomplish great things. You have promised that I can do even greater things than Jesus did on this earth, but only if I trust in you and rely on you moment by moment.

Teach me, Lord God, that it is not by might, nor by power, but by your Spirit (Zechariah 4:6) that I do anything, in Jesus’ name, amen.

(the prayer that closes chapter seven, "The Superman Myth," in my book, American Idols)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! May we remember it is him we live, move, and have our being. We can do nothing without him and of ourselves. He is literally the air we breathe.

Great Prayer--We are not Super anything. He is our Super-Natural.

GBU!