The Modern Baal

Gracious God, I confess my flirtation with mammon. I confess that I have placed too much faith in money and far too little faith in you.

Teach me not to trust in money, which will soon be gone. Teach me to use my money to do good, to give happily to those in need, always being ready to share with others whatever you have given me. Teach me to store up real treasure for myself in heaven.

I submit to your lordship. I commit myself to a tithe. I commit to new giving goals, especially _______________ and _______________. And I commit to stretching myself in this “grace of giving” (2 Corinthians 8:7), that I may cooperate with you in breaking the chains of mammon that would enslave me, in Jesus’ name, amen.

(the prayer that closes chapter fourteen, "The Modern Baal," in my book, American Idols)

No comments: