To Lay Aside Every Weight

Give grace and strength to lay aside every weight, 
and the sin which doth so easily beset us; 
all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, 
the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, 
every motion of flesh and spirit alienated from the will of Thy holiness, 
to be poor in spirit, 
that I have a portion in the kingdom of heaven; 
to mourn, that I be comforted; 
to be meek, that I inherit the earth; 
to hunger and thirst after righteousness, that I be filled; 
to be merciful, that I obtain mercy; 
to be pure in heart, that I see God; 
to be a peacemaker, that I be called the son of God; 
to be prepared for persecutions and revilings for righteousness' sake, 
that my reward be in heaven.

(a prayer of Lancelot Andrewes, from Lancelot Andrewes and His Private Devotions; photo by liguitar via everystockphoto.com)

No comments: