Saturday Psalm #90

Lord, you have been my shelter
and that of my family for many generations.

Long before that,
before the mountains were born,
before matter existed,
from everlasting to everlasting,
from eternity past to eternity future,
you are God.

You will pick the day
when my heart stops beating.
You know just how many steps remain
along my way.

For you, it is already accomplished,
for a thousand years are like a single day to you;
in you there is no difference between now and then.

You must laugh at my daily stresses,
for you know that in the grand scheme of your plan,
they are not so much as a blip on a radar screen.

And yet, I know you care.
I know your heart breaks when mine does,
and you long to carry my burdens
as you have carried my sins far away.

Only you know how long I have left,
to love and serve my family,
my church,
my community and world.

But whether my earthly future
will be measured in hours or decades,
I know this is the only time in history
that I get to partner with you in bringing your kingdom.

So teach me to use my time wisely,
and passionately.

Satisfy me each morning with your unfailing love,
and hear my songs of joy each night,
for the rest of my days.

Let my joys outnumber my sorrows,
and let your deeds be shown among my people,
your splendor to us and all our children.

May your favor, Lord God, rest upon us;
establish the work of our hands for us—
yes, establish the work of our hands.
Amen.

No comments: